Monday, May 9, 2011

The Tooth Monster

It's going to be a long time before the Tooth Fairy visits this household; however, it seems we have been visited by another fictional character related to those precious pearly whites: the tooth monster. My sweet, happy, content little baby girl has been miserable for the past 4 days. (And mommy is none too happy about it). I have heard a lot of moms say there babies teethed "well." I'm assuming that means it wasn't too grueling of an experience for either party.  Apparently, Charlotte is not so lucky. Nor am I. She has been running a fever off an on, probably fighting a bit of an ear infection, and generally discontent. Pair that with the ever-dripping fire hose someone installed in her mouth and her bulgy, swollen gums, and you have one sad little girl. The night before Mother's Day we spent 10 hours (off and on) rocking and snuggling and crying and nursing and maybe a little sleeping. Her Mother's Day gift to me was a lesson in the definition of motherhood. At 2 in the morning, I sat in her chair singing and kissing her thinking to myself, "This is truly what it means to be a mom." Although I might have preferred to get a little sleep, I was grateful to be able to spend that time with her, and alleviate her discomfort. I was so thankful that I could comfort her and help her to feel better. There will be a day, coming all too soon, where snuggling in a rocking chair with mom won't make her world all better. Until then, I will cherish those special moments together.

Mother's Day was a little tainted, but we still had a wonderful day. Jer played music at church so was gone at 5:30 AM. He did take time to leave me a little surprise on the counter from Charlotte and Abbey. It made my day.

Charlotte hasn't learned too many new tricks in the past week.  She is loving eating, and so far doesn't show too much pickiness. So far her diet has included: apple, pear, mango, banana, cantaloupe, avocado, broccoli, sweet potato, chicken, turkey, rice cake. Today I bought her some yogurt and blueberries. It has been fun watching her learn how to eat and she seems to really enjoy participating in meal time with us. She is still nursing every 2.5-3 hours.

She spends most of her day saying "dadadada." It is so cute. You can even ask her to say it and she will. At church on Sunday, the pastor had all the mothers stand to be recognized. As the mothers were standing and the church was quiet, Charlotte was sitting on Jer's lap loudly saying "dadadada." Oh well, I know she loves me!

Last weekend we took Charlotte on her first "hike." I put that in quotes, because "hike" is a bit of a stretch. It was more of a stroll. But very fun nonetheless. We went with our good friends Courtney and Eric and their adorable son Tyler to Mossbrae Falls in Dunsmuir. The babies did great! Slept the whole way up there, happily enjoyed the hike and the falls, then slept the whole way home. The weather was perfect and the waterfall was breathtaking! It was so fun to get out and enjoy God's beautiful creation. The first of a lifetime! We are really looking forward to instilling a love of the outdoors in Charlotte. She will love it, whether she likes it or not!

Excited for her first hike!











Our Crew

Exhausted from a fun day


Sleeping

Really, mom?

No comments: