Friday, October 28, 2011

One

Dear Charlotte Grace,

Today we celebrate your first birthday. I knew it was inevitable, this day, but somehow I had hoped maybe it would take a little longer to arrive. You are the personification of joy. You have taught us more about love, patience, family and God than we ever could have imagined. We thank God daily for entrusting your sweet little life to us and can't imagine a bigger blessing.

Over the year you have grown, developed and changed so much. The first moments I saw you were a blur. I remember thinking how much you looked like your daddy.  How surprised I was to see your bald little head.  Lying in that hospital bed on the night of your birth, hoping that I would fall in love with you soon. Holding you, smelling you, nursing you. I had no idea the love I was in for.

At one point I remember thinking to myself, "You are going to be a newborn forever." And now, in a blink of an eye, we are celebrating your birthday.

Over the months, we watched you wake up. You started smiling and cooing and interacting. We were hooked. You didn't make us work very hard for those first smiles, and you haven't stopped smiling since.

We rejoiced and cheered at each milestone you reached. You learned to sit, and roll, and scoot, and crawl, and stand, and climb. Soon you will running.

You have gained 14 pounds and grown 10 inches. Your hair has not grown more than 1/4 inch. You have 6 teeth. You say words like, "Daddy" "Ball" "Dog" "Dollie" "Mama" "All Done" "More" "Buh-Bye" "Hi" "Charlie."

You play games like Peek-a-Boo and Pat-a-Cake. You read books. You hug and kiss you dollies (and your mommy). You climb on EVERYTHING. You are fearless. And trusting.

Every night your daddy and I sneak into your room and give you one last goodnight kiss. You are so sweet in your jammies, with your monkey close by.

Thank you for making me a mother. We love you more than we ever knew we could.




No comments: