Friday, September 4, 2015

Well, Hello Again

I definitely fell off the blogging bandwagon. It didn't seem like a big deal, but recently I started combing through all my old posts and got incredibly sad that Piper doesn't have a single post about her. The other kids have monthly posts for their entire first year. Poor third kid. The first year is such a blur, it's impossible to remember every little detail about their milestones. I love to be able to read back through and see what they were doing each month.

So my motivation has been renewed. I owe it to her.

I'm going to start at the beginning and try to get 5 blogs posted in the next week so I'm officially caught up.

Piper's Birth

Piper's pregnancy was fantastic. We decided to not find out the gender again this time, but I was POSITIVE it was a boy. Would have bet my life on it. She was the most active, wild little baby. Way more active than the other two. It felt like she never held still. Additionally, her heart rate was always so low, which according to the old wives tale, is a sure bet on boy. So even though we didn't officially know, I KNEW.

I switch OB doctors this time around and it was amazing. I could never say enough good things about my new doctor. She is compassionate, and patient, and knowledgeable, and easy to talk to, and just the best thing that has happened to our little town in a long time. I loved all my prenatal visits.

Jeremy and I are taking turns naming the babies, and this time around was my turn. I had decided on Everett (Rhett) and hadn't really considered a girl name, because this baby was definitely a boy. Charlotte was 2 weeks early and Ryder was 1.5 weeks early, so naturally I assumed this baby would be about 2 weeks early as well.

As the due date got closer, I started getting my things together. I did very little in the way of preparation because we weren't setting up a nursery, and I didn't know the gender, so basically I just put together one little bag of boy things and one little bag of girl things and called myself ready.

At 36 weeks, I had my first check and I was dilated 4-5 cms. I was certain the baby would be here any day!

Well days passed and turned to weeks, and this little baby was as comfy as could be. At this point I was 39 weeks (my longest pregnancy) and 6 cms dilated. I was SO READY to deliver the baby.

Finally at 39 + 1 she decided it was showtime. Because I was so dilated already, I was genuinely afraid of not making it to the hospital in time. After about 3 contractions, I decided to head in. I was still 6 cms when I got there. My OB broke my water and labor hit me like a hurricane. She was by far my most painful labor and delivery. After about 45-60 minutes of contractions, and about 3-5 pushes, out popped baby. I asked, "what is it?' (Knowing full well it was a boy). When my cousin answered, "It's a girl!" I about fell off the table. I have NEVER been so shocked in my entire life. I absolutely could not believe it. I had to look at the baby to make sure she wasn't playing a trick on me.

After she was born, we did all the normal post-delivery clean up, and then moved to our postpartum room.  I kept staring at her in disbelief. How could I have been so wrong?!?! It was crazy to me!

But she was beautiful, and sweet, and perfect, and I was instantly in love.

I felt great, Piper was healthy and nursing well, so we checked out the next morning, about 18 hours after we checked in.

Charlotte and Ryder were absolutely thrilled to welcome their new baby sister home. The first week home we were basically back to normal. I spent a lot of time feeding the baby and fighting Charlotte to hold her.

She was the sweetest, easiest little newborn. Barely ever cried, slept like a pro (I spent the whole first month of her life waking her up and feeding her, because all she did was sleep), and snuggled anyone that wanted a baby fix.





I felt (and still feel) beyond blessed to have welcomed our third healthy child into our family.  I don't take a single second of her life for granted and thank God every night for sending her to us.

No comments: