Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Sleep Status

I mentioned in Ryder's 6 month update that he is not the best sleeper. Not bad, but not good. He's no Charlotte...

This has been a source of frustration for me. I keep telling myself:
I am doing everything the exact same way I did with Charlotte (if not better, since I have more experience)
He has very healthy sleep habits: great schedule, predictable routine, puts himself to sleep, etc. etc.

So why is he not sleeping through the night?

And then, out of nowhere...he did!

Part of me feels vindicated. All my hard work finally paid off! I did this!  But then I got real.

Ryder has taught me a invaluable lesson: All babies are different. There is no cookie-cuter way formula to follow that will guarantee 12 hours of sleep by 12 weeks old. And that is great! Babies know what they need and they let you know. They will sleep through the night when they are ready.

Now, don't get me wrong. I still see a lot of value in teaching healthy sleep habits and maintaining a predictable routine. These are lessons that will last a lifetime. But, now when giving sleep advice, I will be sure to add the caveat, "not all babies sleep through the night at 8 weeks, no matter what you do."

This is just one example of how Ryder is teaching me that people are their own little people from day one. Charlotte and Ryder have been raised in the exact same way, by the exact same parents, and are already so incredibly different. And for this I am so thankful.

Thank you Ryder for showing me the beauty of individuality. We love you to death and can't wait to learn all of your little quirks!



No comments: