Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I didn't really know where to go with this blog. This week hasn't been full of exciting milestones, or wondrous achievements. I read a lot of other blogs where the women post witty observations about day-to-day events, often turning the otherwise mundane into hilarity and irony. I thought, maybe I have something to write about that doesn't involve an update on Charlotte.  But then I got real with myself. Everything in my world involves Charlotte right now. Why fight it?  And, if my goal for this blog is to have an accurate, detailed record of her first year, I should probably stick with the happenings of her world.
As I mentioned last week, I have been wrestling with the issue of introducing solids for quite some time now. I know a few years down the road I will think to myself, "why did you care so much about that?" Seeing as how it is really not that big of a deal whether she eats at 4 months or 6; but for right now, it has become a big decision for this mommy-brain. After I had decided to wait until 6 months, I stumbled across an aggravating article that told me I was actually doing her harm by not starting at 4 months. Why must I torture myself with research? Anyway, taking it all into consideration, I decided to give it a go this week, starting with banana. Fail. At first, I handed her a piece and let her gnaw on it. Every time it entered her mouth, she made the most pitiful, disgusted face I have ever seen. I thought I would mash it up and help her out, that was even more offensive! Okay, how about pear? Fail. Same reaction.  I am forgoing rice due to its propensity to cause constipation. The last thing this once a week pooper needs is something slowing down her tortoise-paced bowels. After seeing other babies reaching out for their food, opening their mouth to the approaching spoon, crying when the food is gone,  it is clear that Charlotte is not ready/wanting to start eating regularly yet. Phew! I wasn't really wanting to start yet either :)  So, 2 more weeks and we will try again.

Slow and steady may be the motto of this little girl's life.

In a similarly slow fashion, she is taking her sweet time with the whole rolling conquest. I just hope she doesn't figure it out while unattended on the changing table or bed. Wait, I would never do that...Pretty sure she will be rolling before her first day of kindergarten.

Jer and I did have the extreme pleasure of going on our second date in 6 months. We went to a fabulous dinner at Olive Garden (on Santa) and a $3 movie.  I love spending less than $10 on a whole evening out! We almost missed our movie because we were so deep in conversation at dinner, we lost track of time. I even forgot we had a baby at home for like 35 seconds! Charlotte was in the wonderfully loving arms of her Grammy and Pop and was a complete angel.

The house is really coming together. The playroom was completed this weekend and is fabulous! Now, we just need some toys, and a baby that can move and we're all set! I'd say a few more weeks and things will be back to normal. Nay, better than normal!






No comments: