Thursday, October 22, 2009

Quinoa Soup

I absolutely love to cook. Few things bring me more joy than preparing a delicious meal for friends and family. My mom is one of the best cooks I know and I hope to be as talented as she is one day. Another one of my cooking mentors is a life-long family friend of ours, Patte. Patte always has fun new recipes for me, and you can guarantee the meal is healthy and nutritious if it comes from her! One of our absolute favorite recipes came from Patte, African Quinoa Soup. Jeremy and I love this soup because it is extremely healthy, all organic, delicious and filling! The second the weather cooled off, Jeremy started begging me to make a batch of soup. In the past 2 weeks, we have been through three batches! It is great to put in single-size containers as easy-to-grab lunches, and also makes a delicious dinner when paired with a salad and fresh bread. So, give this soup a try and let me know what you think. I doubt you will be disappointed!

African Quinoa Soup


2 tbsp. butter or olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 med. sweet potato
2 zucchini squash
1 med. onion

2 celery stocks with leaves
1 jalapeno pepper
1 med. red bell pepper
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cumin
6 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup quinoa
salt & pepper
1/2 crunchy peanut butter
Dash of cheyenne pepper

Using a food processor, dice all veggies and set aside.
Melt butter (or heat olive oil) in large stock pot. Saute next 9 ingredients until veggies are soft (about 15 minutes). Add next 3 ingredients and cook about 20 minutes. Add PB and cheyenne pepper and cook another 15-20 minutes.

I hope you all enjoy this delicious and nutritious soup as much as we do! I would love some of your recipes! If you have one you would like to share, please post!

No comments: