Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Breastfeeding: Through the Eyes of a Toddler

One of the big question marks I had while I was pregnant with Ryder was how Charlotte would react to him breastfeeding. It hasn't been all that long since she has been weaned, I just didn't know what to expect or how she would behave.  A new breastfeeding relationship takes a lot of time and effort, and I wasn't sure how I was going to balance that with a busy toddler. Well, I am happy to report things are going swimmingly. I have Ryder on a nice routine that enables me to nurse him almost exclusively while she sleeps or Jeremy is home.  She only really has to survive one mid-morning feed on her own.  And by on her own I mean climbing all over me and kissing Ryder while he eats.

It didn't take her any time at all to understand the whole process. Her interpretation of everything is hilarious.  Every time I sit down to nurse Ryder we have this conversation:

"Baby drinking the milk!"
"Mommy lid off (a breast pad is now formally known as a lid)"
"Baby all done!"
"Mommy milk lotion on! (Lanolin)"
"Mommy lid back on!"
"Burping the baby!"
"Have it? (Can I hold him?)"

So, one of my big trepidations has been tackled and overcome. Nursing a newborn while managing a busy toddler is doable and not nearly as daunting as I imagined it might be. Ryder is also significantly faster than Charlotte was in the beginning, which is extremely helpful.

To all the nursing mothers out there: Don't forget to put your lid back on!




No comments: