Thursday, January 12, 2012

The First Yuck

We have been extremely blessed to have a very healthy baby. Charlotte has made it nearly 15 months with not much more than the occasional snotty nose. Until now.

3 Sundays ago (The Sunday before Christmas, almost 4 weeks now), Charlotte woke up snotty. I didn't think much about it, other than whether or not her health status was worthy of the nursery. Figuring it was just the common cold, I let it ride its course. But the course just kept going, and going, and going. And then, almost 4 weeks later, she started spiking fevers, still coughing and congested.  I waved my white flag and called the doc. The most wonderful family doctor you could ever hope for.  He agreed this illness had conquered the common cold and would need additional artillery.

So, for the first time, we went into the doctor for a sick-baby visit. The news was bleak: 103 temp, lost weight, double ear infection, and a sinus infection. My heart broke. She was none too fond of the appointment. Big crocodile tears and all.  I'm relieved I didn't join her in the crying!

And then, for the first time, I stood in line at the pharmacy, sick baby on my hip, waiting to fill her antibiotic prescription.

I know this will be the first of many trips to the doc, but every "first" is memorable. And this is no exception.

She has been handling everything like a trooper. Not much complaining, still sleeping pretty well.

I wish I could wave a wand and make her all better, but I am thankful for modern medicine and the fact that we haven't had to employ it until now.

Praying to have my happy, healthy baby back in the next few days.

No comments: