Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Feeling Sad

I just stumbled across the most tragic blog.  A family of 4 was in a head on collision. Everyone suffered terrible injuries, and their 18 month didn't survive.

As I scrolled through the archives, with tears in my eyes, I came across a specific blog that showed the youngest boy, at 11 months, in a forward facing toddler seat.  Specifically pointing out that he was flipped forward too soon.

I spend a lot of time reading about car seat safety, about the fact that infants and toddlers are 500% safer in rear facing seats, but those are all just numbers and statistics until you see the face of tragedy.

I am not one for soap boxes, but this story just crushes me.  Would this precious baby have survived if he were in the proper seat?

Why I am afraid to speak up and tell people. I am so fearful of offending someone, but what if I had known that family? What if I knew they turned him early, and I didn't say anything? This is not a judgmental observation in the slightest. It is my genuine sorrow and sadness for this family. No one deserves to suffer so greatly.

Babies and toddler's spines are weak, not fused and strong like adults. That is why they are at such a higher risk for spinal separation during a car accident.

Please, put your baby's safety ahead of their comfort. I don't want to come across another blog like this.

No comments: